Sunday, May 18, 2014

A focus on what's in season: Rhubarb

I love rhubarb and those lovely red stalks are bursting forth everywhere!


This weekend was the perfect time to take advantage of it. The sun was shining beautifully and we are lucky enough to have a little farm stand just down the road from us so the kids and I grabbed our basket and headed out for a walk.



The day was glorious, and I always feel very lucky to live where I do.




This little farm stand is so cute and has a lovely selection of whatever is in season.


We were there specifically for the rhubarb.







Isn't a book exchange such a great idea?





Once home it was time to make.....

Rhubarb Cake

Heat oven to 350 degrees

1 1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c canola oil
1 egg
2tsp vanilla

2 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup of butter milk

1/2 c chopped pecans
2 c diced rhubarb

Topping
1/3 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tblsp melted butter


I am playing around with lighting right now to try to find the best place to shoot photos so please bear with me for these first few posts.

Combine brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla.


Little hands are always welcome in the kitchen.


In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.


Alternate adding the flour mixture...


and the buttermilk.


Chop up your pecans..


and dice your rhubarb..


and then fold them both into your batter.


Combine all topping ingredients.


Smooth batter out into a greased 9 x 13 pan and top evenly with topping mixture.


Bake in a 350 degree oven for approx 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Enjoy this delicious cake on it's own with a hot cup of tea or coffee, or it also tastes just lovely with ice cream (mixed with a little cinnamon) or whipped cream.


I hope you enjoyed this rhubarb focused post. I'm hoping to bring a few more rhubarb recipes to the blog this week as it's so deliciously in season.

I'm always looking for other recipes as well so please feel free to post them in the comments below or email them to me at mariahdblog@gmail.com and I will try to feature them here.


No comments:

Post a Comment